iRAP is part of a global road assessment movement to make roads safer. See the history of RAPs here.
iRAP was formed in 2006 as an umbrella organisation for EuroRAP, usRAP and AusRAP and also to facilitate work in middle and low income countries. It is now the umbrella organisation for:
Read the Overview of RAP Programmes’ Structure for more information on the history and development of our regional RAPs.
STEPS TO CREATING A LOCAL RAP PROGRAMME
Click (+) to expand each step.
Step 1: Investigate if there is an existing national or regional RAP programme
Step 2: Undertake a local scan
Step 3: Identify champions and lead agencies that can support a local programme
Step 4: Get to know the iRAP family
Step 5: Get to know the iRAP protocols
Step 6: Undertake iRAP training and accreditation
Step 7: Agree on the structure that is right for your country and finalise lead roles
Step 8: Share your success with local, national and global stakeholders
Step 9: Formalise the partnerships
HELPFUL SUPPORT MATERIALS
Click (+) to expand each topic
On how to set up your programme
- iRAP’s Developing a Locally Owned and Led RAP Programme Brochure available in multiple languages
- iRAP’s Developing a Locally Owned and Led RAP Programme Webinar
- Programme Feasibility Questionnaire
- Elements for Programme Success Infographic
- Work in road safety but not sure what you can do to support developing a programme in your country? We have some suggested next steps for your action if you're a supplier, representative of government, mobility club, university, road industry, funding body, etc.
On data to support your local understanding
- Vaccines for Roads including iRAP’s Big Data Tool to learn about the state of the world’s roads, case studies of success and iRAP’s Business Case for Safer Roads to see the national and global potential for lives and serious injuries saved and economic benefits of maximising the percentage of travel on 3-star or better roads by 2030.
- ViDA – iRAP’s online software to create a world free of high risk roads.
- iRAP’s Road Safety Toolkit – free information on the causes and prevention of road crashes that cause death and injury.
On other national and regional programmes
On evaluating your programme
On policy setting to save lives
On iRAP tools, systems and training available to support you
- Training and Accreditation@iRAP – to build capacity of road safety practitioners
- Information on iRAP’s Protocols and Specifications, User Guides and Manuals – to assess the safety of a road network and provide recommendations for investment and countermeasures
- iRAP Accredited Suppliers - road safety professionals and companies capable of competitively bidding to provide high-quality iRAP assessments
- ViDA – iRAP’s online software to create a world free of high risk roads
- Star Rating for Schools app – to assess the safety of school journeys
- Star Rating for Designs tool – to assess and improve the safety of a road design before construction
- Star Rating Demonstrator – to explore the star rating impact for different road user groups when road attributes are changed
- iRAP’s Innovation Framework – how iRAP works with partners to adopt and share local innovation for the benefit of all.