Star Ratings for Schools
An evidence-based solution for a world where children travel safely to and from school.
What is Star Rating for Schools?
Road traffic injury is now the leading cause of death for children and young adults aged 5–29 years. Each day 500 children are killed in preventable traffic crashes around the world.
Star Rating for Schools (SR4S) is the first evidence-based tool for measuring, managing and communicating the risk children are exposed to on a journey to school. It supports quick interventions that save lives and prevent serious injuries from day one.
How does it work?
We know the road features and traffic conditions that affect the pedestrian safety on a journey to school. SR4S allows the easy assessment of each of these features and using evidence-based research of their impact on safety, a Star Rating can be calculated at spot locations, where 1-star is the least safe and 5-star is the safest.
Star Rating for Schools:
- Measures safety before and after road improvements.
- Provides an evidence-based rating of road safety.
- Supports education campaigns for students, drivers and the wider community for safe travel around schools.
- Guides decision-makers in prioritising road upgrades around schools by assessing different options.
Find out more on how it works here
How to get involved
Incorporate SR4S in your road safety programme:
- Register your interest by completing the form on starratingforschools.org/register-your-interest/
- Explore the information pack that will be sent to you via email and consider how you might structure your project.
- Discuss your project with local partners and stakeholders.
- Submit the Establish a Project form with details of your project.
- Be ready for one of the Lead Partners to be in contact to help shape a successful programme.
Donate to save kids’ lives
Donor funds are used to support the Lead Partners advocate for and deliver life-saving upgrades around schools and provide the support for global action and programme management.