An aim of iRAP is to enable programmes globally that have strong local ownership with commitment and mutual support for RAP members around the world.
The establishment of iRAP Centres of Excellence around the world is designed to focus expertise, ownership and leadership for the programmes at a technical level. The Centres of Excellence are peak organisations that have a demonstrated excellence in road safety engineering and are focused on activities for the public good.
There is currently six iRAP Centres of Excellence:
The purpose of an iRAP Centre of Excellence is to:
- Support the organisations licensed to apply the RAP programme.
- Provide a focal point for iRAP expertise in a geographic region.
- Assist with the communication of the iRAP vision and supporting protocols in key forums in the Region in liaison with the relevant iRAP Regional Director.
- Assist with capacity building and training activities that build an effective delivery network (government and/or private sector) to apply and utilize the iRAP protocols and results.
- Contribute to the evidence base underlying the iRAP protocols through the completion of targeted research and development and integration of iRAP data within local research programmes.
- Contribute to the technical governance of the iRAP protocols through the Global Technical Working Groups and Global Technical Committee
- Assist with the support for, and audit of, country programmes and RAP associated entities.
- Build the relationships and partnerships with other iRAP COEs to strengthen the support for the global programme and sharing of knowledge globally.
The centre must:
- Be a non-profit organisation with a public good charter.
- Be a national academic and/or research institution that is recognized as a regional leader for road safety engineering.
- Embrace and support iRAP’s vision for a world free of high-risk roads.
- Demonstrate an excellent understanding of the iRAP program and its application through their own in-country involvement.
- Have demonstrated capability to deliver capacity building programs and training courses.
- Be willing to work with other COEs and iRAP members around the world as required.
For more information
iRAP Research and Partnerships Director